Allotment and Small Space Gardening Workshop: Syötävä Puisto #3
September 24, 2022
In this 4-hour hands-on workshop, agroecologist and permaculture designer Joshua Finch will show us how to apply simple ecological principles in creating and maintaining a garden.
Joshua Finch is a certified permaculture designer with over twelve years of hands-on experience and in-depth study. From 2016 to 2021 he built one of the first agroecological farms in Finland as an experimental space for teaching and testing regenerative practices.
The third and last workshop this year will focus on:
- Beds‘ preparation for the winter using no-dig methods. No-dig gardening aims for minimal disturbance of the soil, ensuring natural processes are preserved and weed growth is minimised.
- Reviewing this year’s crop, soil fertility and amendment.
- Planting plan for the next season, onlooking the previous harvest quantities and quality.
- Seed saving, seed microbiomes, cross pollination and hybrids.
- What is a land race seed, heirlooms and open pollinated seeds.
- Over winter sowing – how to maximize the crops.
- When to start the seedlings.
The workshop will be held at Syötävä Puisto (Edible Park) on the island of Mustikkamaa. Syötävä Puisto is a community urban farm, just 5km from Helsinki city centre.
Not a Slow Food Member? Want to join our movement? A one-year Slow Food Helsinki membership starts at €25 for students and includes special discounts and exclusive access to some events. Be part of the Slow Food revolution! Join us here.
We are organising meetings and food related events where you can talk, eat, and meet other food enthusiasts like you!